Tips to Follow When Using a Dehumidifier to Dry Out the Basement
November 16th, 2022
Having a wet basement is a pretty common issue for any house owner. However, having a wet basement for a long time will affect the overall structural integrity of the house. Hence, it is critical to get wet basement repair Barrie services.
But before you get repair services, it is important to dry out your basement. And it is not just about removing water using a sump pump. It also includes removing any moisture in the basement. When the cold walls touch the moisture in the basement air, it causes dampness in the basement. Even if there is no visible water, the dampness will cause house integrity issues.
You must dehumidify the basement using a dehumidifier. However, for the dehumidifier to work efficiently, you need to follow these tips.
- Close all the ventilation of the basement when you start using a dehumidifier. This allows the machine to circulate the same air until all the moisture is removed. If you don’t close the ventilation, more moisture from outside will keep adding to the circulating air reducing the efficiency of the dehumidifier.
- Installing a portable heater to increase the temperature of the basement by 20 degrees Celsius will also help the dehumidifier to work properly. This is especially important when it is cold on the outside. As mentioned above, cold walls will increase the humidity of the basement. Increasing the temperature helps to fasten the process of dehumidifying.
- If your basement is large, for example, below a commercial building, you must install larger dehumidifiers along with industrial fans to quicken the process and increase the circulation of dry air.
- When you run a dehumidifier, run it for at least 2 weeks. Although the concrete floors and walls won’t dry completely, it will reduce the dampness. The natural air can dry out the remaining moisture.
If your basement is furnished to be used as a game room, home office, home theatre, and more, you might also need to do the following
- Remove the wet plasterboards to check for mould. If you find mould, you must get remediation services.
- If you have carpet or laminated flooring in the basement, you need to remove them too. This will ensure the basement is dried out completely.
Once dehumidified, get wet basement repair and basement waterproofing Barrie services. And you can call us at Ontario Wet Basement Solution Inc. for the same.
We have a professional team equipped with the latest tools and technology to repair your wet basement. Along with this, we will also provide foundation crack repair Barrie, crawl space encapsulation, and sump pump services.
Contact us now to know more.