Crawl Space Encapsulation: Two Ways to Approach the Process
February 11th, 2022
Crawl spaces are becoming more common in residential buildings. The main reason is that crawlspaces provide increased convenience to the homeowner in terms of space and storage facility in the house. Hence, having a clean crawl space is always an advantage.
However, a lot of homeowners also struggle with common issues associated with crawl spaces. These include moisture, pests such as ants, termites, and foul smells due to gasses or animal infestation.
What is the best way to handle these issues? It is crawl space encapsulation. And if you are thinking about whether it is worth investing your money, our experts say that it is absolutely worth it! If you want to know more about how crawl space encapsulation can benefit your house, read our previous blog on the same.
However, there are two ways that people can approach crawl space encapsulation.
- DIY Approach
Several homeowners try to go for a DIY approach to crawl space encapsulation. If you are choosing this approach, you need to ensure that you get the right crawl space system for encapsulation. Here are the elements you need to check while buying a DIY crawl space system for encapsulation.
- Liner: Make sure to avoid any kit that offers a liner without 20 mil thickness and 0.000 permeability. Any liner that is against this specification will not stop water from entering your crawlspace. Also, you can’t stop radon gas from entering your crawl space.
- Dehumidifier: Now, if you buy a kit that has the right liner, you won’t need a dehumidifier. The right liner will prevent moisture from getting trapped in the crawl space.
- Waterproofing: Make sure to waterproof your crawl space. You can get two major benefits with waterproofing. Firstly, you can prevent running water from entering the crawl space. Secondly, you will reduce moisture thus preventing the entry of rodents and insects.
- Mould Neutralizer: A crawl space encapsulation kit will have a mould neutralizer. This will reduce the growth of any type of mould, algae, and bacteria and prevent future growth.
Make sure to check these factors before buying a DIY crawl space encapsulation kit.
- Professional and Experienced Services
Now, a DIY approach will protect your crawl space for a few years. But professional and experienced crawl space encapsulation will protect it for longer, even for decades!
If you choose professional crawl space encapsulation services, you can get in touch with us Ontario Wet Basement Solution Inc. right away.
We have expertise in crawl space encapsulation, foundation waterproofing Barrie, basement waterproofing, and repair. Contact us now to know more.