Basements are Important Living Spaces
March 6th, 2020
There are so many benefits to a basement in your home. Basements maximize the value and added living space to your home; they provide opportunities to renovate for in-law or rental potential; and basements ultimately create maintenance access and protection for electrical panels, as well as electrical lines, plumbing, and ductwork.
Basements are a valuable living space for so many homeowners, whether they use it together as a family or rent out the space to others. Having a leaky basement in Barrie can impede your enjoyment of spending time in your basement. Leaky basements can easily be repaired to restore your enjoyment of living in your home and spending quality time in your basement.
Basement repair may be essential if there are foundation cracks in your home. There are different types of cracks that you may notice in your basement — step, vertical, horizontal, along walls and in basement floors. The rule of thumb is usually that if a dime can fit into the crack, get it checked. Foundation cracks repair in Barrie is crucial to the continued enjoyment of your basement. It is important to repair basement cracks in Barrie to avoid unnecessary and certainly unwanted problems in the future, like mould, musty odour, and leaks.
There are many signs of possible foundation issues. Homeowners may notice foundation cracks or wall/floor cracks which may possibly be a result of foundation settling, sinking, or upheaval. Often times homeowners may notice that basement doors may stick or don’t open or close properly, and even notice sagging or uneven floors. Foundation cracks can cause significant damage if untreated, as they allow water to seep into the basement and they make your house more vulnerable to weather-related water damage. Ontario Wet Basement is well equipped and has the expertise to repair and prevent foundation cracks and basement waterproofing in the Barrie area. If any of these signs are revealed, it is a good idea to get a professional to look at and fix the problem. Foundation cracks repair in places like Barrie is available from Ontario Wet Basement Solutions.
Reasons to Waterproof Your Basement
- Prevent Flooding
- No one wants to discover that their basement has flooded and their valuables have either been water-soaked or destroyed. Flooding can occur after heavy snowfall, melting snow/spring thaw, or a heavy rain.
- Prevent Cracks in the Foundation
- A wet basement could occur from water leaks from rain or snow. Once there is water in your basement, there is a build-up of moisture in your home. Excessive moisture in your basement can lead to mould and mildew which can cause serious health problems.
- Prevent Mould and Mildew
- Mould and mildew in your basement can exacerbate or cause some serious health from coughing to asthma to respiratory ailments. By simply hiring a professional for basement repair can make a significant difference.
- Reduction of Energy Costs
- A dry basement that is warm in the winter and cooled in the summer is an indicator of a healthy basement. However, a warm, wet basement will increase humidity in the summer months, and foundation cracks will allow cold temperatures to permeate making it more challenging to keep your basement warm. Proper waterproofing will not only insulate your home, but also make it more efficient to heat and cool.